terça-feira, 19 de outubro de 2010

Washington D.C - second day


I woke up early to use my day and I took the subway. I think the subway is expensive, $9 per day. But the metro is very beautiful and comfortable; it is similar to São Paulo. The difference between São Paulo and Washington is the heater. It was cold, but nice.
This city has a lot of museums of every kind of style.
I went the Air and Space Museum and it is huge. I spend my day in just one museum and some memorials. All things about space you can find there. There are many curiosities such as special clothes to go to moon, special food, bedroom and rocket and they are original.
In the part about air, you can find the Wright Brothers and Santos Dumont who invented the airplane. Some countries think the Wrights invented the airplane, but France supports another man. It is a long discussion.
But the saddest part is where they showed how all the airplane and rocket technology were used in war. Santos Dumont killed himself when he saw the airplane used in the war.
This museum is located around of one beautiful garden where the people run and walk.
Close by the Air and Space Museum are located some memorials of ex-presidents, such as Abraham Lincoln who is considered the best president in USA (he was president during Secession War and he liberated the slave), George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
At the Lincoln Memorial happened the famous speech “I have a dream” by Martin Luther King Jr. The speech happened in August of 1963 and it unveiled bad conditions of black people in the South of the USA.
Another memorial is about the Second War which honors the 16 million people who served the army and the 40 thousands of people who died. This memorial is located between the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Memorial.
Close by the memorials is the building Institute of Peace.
After I visited all the memorials, I passed by the White House, the Treasury (where they print money) and the Capitol. The Capitol is like Palácio dos Bandeirantes in Brasil. When I was going to the Capitol, I crossed one street on which was happening a Turkish Festival.
            By the street, it is possible to see the FMI building, the World Bank and the FBI building. Close by this place there is an excellent museum; it is the Newseum.
            That day, I went to just one museum, the Air and Space Museum because it took all of my time.
Next time: Newseum and more

Nenhum comentário: